top of page

Recent Posts



General Washington's Triumphant Return to New York City


On November 25, 1783, General George Washington made his long awaited return to New York City. Accompanied by around 800 troops, Washington and his men marched into the city to the delight of cheering citizens. There were plenty of reasons to celebrate. Just three months earlier, the Treaty of Paris was signed, bringing the American Revolution to an end. In the eyes of many New Yorkers, America’s victory in the war of Independence was finally realized on November 25. On that day, the last British forces evacuated New York City and their exit ushered the return of General Washington.

Washington's entry into New York following the evacuation of the British. (Photo:

Back in 1776, Washington was up against the odds, especially after the British forced his troops out of New York City. Those early days in the war featured one of his most crushing defeats as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Throughout the remainder of the conflict, Washington always longed to recapture the city that he had lost to the British. Seven years after the fateful summer of 1776, Washington re-entered New York City as the architect of America’s victory in the War of Independence. This time, there would be no need for a retreat.

Regardless of the challenges that he faced, General Washington never gave up. He devoted himself completely to the command that he was honored and entrusted with. Without his leadership through the tumultuous eight years of the Revolutionary War, American victory would not have been possible. (Photo:

After the Revolutionary War, New York City was not done with George Washington. On April 23, 1789, he returned to the nation’s temporary capital to serve his country once again. On April 30, Washington took his oath of office and was inaugurated as the first President of the United States. He conducted his duties as President in New York City until 1790, when Philadelphia became the nation’s new capital.

An illustration of George Washington taking the oath of office on the balcony of Federal Hall at the corner of Wall and Broad Streets. (Photo:


bottom of page